Thursday, June 26, 2008

Guinness burgers!

Alright, alright... I made these burgers weeks ago, and I promised I would post the recipe, so here you go.

GUINNESS BURGERS
Rich flavors saturating an American classic

Ingredients: bison meat (1/4-1/3 pound per burger, depending on how hungry you are), one can of chilled Guinness, aged English cheddar cheese, grainy horseradish mustard, whole wheat buns

This is a very basic play on the bison burger recipe I posted over a year ago.

Start by putting a sheet of wax paper down on a cookie sheet, covering most of the bottom. Pour the can of chilled Guinness into the cookie sheet. After creating flat, round bison patties of whatever size you like, place them in the Guinness on the cookie sheet. Place the cookie sheet on a level shelf in the refrigerator so that the Guinness is saturating every burger. Allow the meat to marinate in just the Guinness for at least 3-4 hours.

Next, cooking methods. I decided to fry the burgers in a pan, because I wanted the burgers to cook in their own liquids, inside of grilling them, which would cause the Guinness to drip off into the grill, making the stout's flavor less potent than it would be if the burgers were cooked in the liquid naturally draining off of the cooking burger. I cooked mine for about 4 minutes on each side on medium heat, but I like my burgers on the rare side. You can adjust the heat and the cooking time to your own desires, but be careful to cook the burgers for roughly the same amount of time on each side.

While the burgers are cooking, prepare the bun. I used whole wheat buns, with grainy horseradish mustard, and it was delicious - it was just the right balance with the sharpness of the cheddar and the wholeness of the stout's flavor.

As the burger is finishing cooking, add grated aged English cheddar to the top of the burger. For the cheese to properly melt and add flavor to the burger, it should be put on the burger about 1.5-2 minutes prior to the completion of the cooking of the burger.

Voila. Guinness burger. The stout flavor stays, while the alcohol cooks off. I imagine it would be really good with potatoes.

No comments: