Thursday, March 6, 2008

The problems of a sober artist.

I have had ideas in mind for new posts a dozen times over the last few weeks. Instead, you only get the last post (about my car almost being towed) and this one, which is set to be a strange conglomeration of news and various commentaries about things I have seen and done lately. When I admitted to a customer and another partner at the Brookline Village Starbucks last night that I had a lot of material but could not get it out onto paper. The customer laughed and said it was the problem faced by an artist. My response: "I suppose it's more the problem of a sober artist."

I guess I like to think I am that rara avis, and that you would not be able to get my viewpoint anywhere else. So I should write, because I have something unique to say. However, there are thousands, or millions, of other blogs out there, and I doubt those people would also be writing if they did not also feel they had something unique to say. So, if thousands or millions of other people also have something unique to say, well, then we are not very unique, are we? When I was younger, I wanted to write novels but was discouraged by the idea that I could not tell any stories that had not been told before. I suppose the difference in and point of writing that story now is quality - how well one writes, so that the story is better - or worse, depending on the authors, I guess.

Anyway, on to other things. I visited Texas last weekend (flew into Austin on Friday, drove to Dallas on Sunday, drove back to Austin on Monday, flew into Boston on Tuesday), and I left my heart there for safekeeping. It was a wonderful weekend (aside from one brief aberration), and I want to go back. Friday night, we went to Pluckers after the hockey game. I had fried pickles, Dr. Pepper wings, spicy barbecue wings, macaroni and cheese, and a Psychedelic Frog. It was an amazing meal. Pluckers isn't exactly good for you, but it is really delicious, and it beats any wings I have had on the east coast. If you visit Texas or Louisiana, you must visit Pluckers (http://www.pluckers.com). The variety of flavors for wings, as well as the delectable appetizers, sandwiches, and mixed drinks (my favorite being the Psychedelic Frog) make for an enjoyable meal, and the atmosphere makes it fun. The restaurant started as a freshman year business project at the University of Texas at Austin. Let's just say they got an A.

The rest of the weekend consisted of Jenny & Jason's engagement party (excited for them), the Irish Festival in Dallas (I've never seen so many people who look alike crowded into one area... I've also never seen a midget expertly dressed as a leprechaun - this guy hit the nail on the head), dinner at Texas Land & Cattle Steakhouse (another Texas dining favorite), a visit with Mom, brunch at the Original Pancake House (delicious pancakes... so much better than IHOP), Marc's flag football game, and my first visit to Hooters (still love Pluckers wings more). It was so good to see my family. I feel a lot better.

We played Rock Band at Jenny & Jason's party on Saturday, and I think I'm addicted. I've even created a new playlist on my iPod just for the songs on the game (click here for a list of songs). I couldn't help but feel some pride over being able to nail songs like the Red Hot Chili Peppers's Dani California and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs's Maps as I felt my rockstar tendencies satisfied for the first time. I would love to be a musician, make awesome music, and watch people react to it positively. I can't imagine how it feels for a band to perform live. I need to buy Rock Band and make friends who like to play it.

I also created some other new playlists on my iPod. I revisited my days in Dallas and downloaded a bunch of radio hits from the Edge (http://www.kdge.com) and sought out new music I saw featured in Spin Magazine (http://www.spin.com) and Starbucks (http://www.starbucks.com, http://www.hearmusic.com). The results of this search for new music were mixed, but I'll share some of my favorites:
Jack Johnson - Sleep Through The Static - The entire album is good. It still has the surfer feel that Jack Johnson always has, but the lyrics have a tone that is darker than anything else he has produced before.
Beans - Thorns - This is a rapper with heart, style, good beats, and music that makes you want to move your body but not necessarily dance like you're having sex. His rhymes are thoughtful, though sometimes hard to understand. My favorite tracks include No Thrills, Sudden Death Academics, and Razor Boss.
Bob Mould - District Line - The former Husker Du and Sugar frontman returns with a solo album with no screaming - just songs of high intensity. He sounds deeply emotional but not too mellow. Some of my favorites are Stupid Now, The Silence Between Us, and Very Temporary.
British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music? - This is a very chill-sounding album. I thought the album title kind of ironic, because this is not what I would characterize as rock music. My favorite song of the album: A Trip Out.
Drive-By Truckers - Brighter Than Creations Dark - Country crossed with alternative rock is not typically my thing, but this band has a unique, heartfelt sound. Listening to You and Your Crystal Meth broke my heart; That Man I Shot was another favorite.
Nada Surf - Lucky - Unremarkable overall, but more entertaining than previous music I've heard from them. Tracks worth trying: Weightless, I Like What You Say.
Vampire Weekend - Self-titled - This band has a quirky, energetic sound, but I did not feel compelled to buy much of their music. It just did not come together the way hit music does, and they did not sound especially talented. I did enjoy Oxford Comma.

Well, I suppose that is it for now. I know I had more things in mind when I started this post, but that was more than a day ago, and I've since forgotten them. Sorry. I should be posting something soon on my favorite lunch place ever, Flour Bakery & Cafe.

No comments: