Friday, November 2, 2007

Hitting bottom and looking up.

When you hit bottom, it's kind of like a trampoline. You'll keep hitting bottom, over and over again, until you pull yourself up or use your momentum to jump higher.

I guess that's a weird analogy... but it's pretty much the way I feel.

To put it in more dignified words: If you're hitting bottom, you'll be staying there until you get yourself out of the mayhem and despair. No one else can bail you out. You have to pick yourself up and give it your best shot.

One of the best things about people is that we can change directions in our lives at a moment's notice if we wish. We can redirect our forward or backward momentum and go a completely new direction. You just have to set your mind to it.

I guess that gives anyone with a healthy sense of determination an advantage. I have never been seriously faulted for being strong-willed. I think things through pretty carefully before I make a decision. However, once I make a decision, I'm all in. My personal theory is that my strong resolve and general confidence about life are rooted in the support I have from my family. They have been and always will be my biggest asset - because I know I can count on them, and in return, they can count on me. They know I consider my options and are always willing to provide advice, but once I make a decision, they back me up. That can be a difficult job with me being a big dreamer. The greatest gifts I have ever received are the love and support of my family. As cheesy/corny/sappy as that sounds... it's the honest-to-God truth.

Something I've learned lately: Anger is almost never the answer. Silence frequently is the answer, though often on a short-term basis. Drama, antics, temper... these things distract you from the real reason why your heart beats inside your chest. Do you live to upset me? Is your sole purpose in life ruining someone else's day? Misery is contagious. Why waste time on being upset or upsetting others? Life is short, and we have so much to experience. Even if you do not have an appreciation for the more enjoyable experiences in life, respect that others might. You respect yourself by respecting others. Where anger persists, happiness does not.

No comments: